Monday, July 21, 2008

fundraising, and fevers

ok second attempt at a blog post today....

I can't believe a week went by since my last post, but that's just how busy things have been around here....

On friday morning I ran around collecting donations for our raffle and dropping off the letters from the foundation (thank you lowes, bj's and chuck-e-cheese) I packed everything we would need and we took the camper and headed to a neighboring state to help my brother and sister-in-law with the third annual wiffleball tournament/family fun day to raise money for cystic fibrosis. I have mentioned before that my nephew has cystic fibrosis.

meet my nephew Weston

I wrote about it here when he was a year old!38C225B23145C601!386.entry?_c11_blogpart_blogpart=blogview&_c=blogpart#permalink. He is now 2 1/2, and doing very well, but the first 18 months of his life were touch and go. My sister in law has put all of her energy ( you know the energy she has left after parenting a 5 yr old girl and 2 1/2 year old boy who needs meds, chest pt and careful monitering of his diet due to allergies as well as his illness., working part time as a social worker and running a household) into fundraising because every dollar we raise is a step closer, allows the researchers to keep on working. She even started a webpage this year which you can check out here:

It looks like she hasn't posted this years pics yet but the great strides walk from this year is up as well as last years tournament. There is also a link on that page if you feel you would like to donate.

So we helped set up a large field, got the kids to sleep and started all over the next day. We didn't raise as much money as previous years, but we didn't get corporate sponcership we had recieved previous years, the weather was working against us ( it was extremely hot and so muggy we were sweating standing still), and we changed the venue, which may have confused people.

We did raise 2555.00, which hey-science is expensive and that is money they didn't have before right?

As the day went on Saturday I was feeling worse and worse which I attributed to the heat, I'm not a do well in extreme temps kind of girl. By the time we were packing up to head home though I had fever, chills, nausea, headache, sore throat. I had to drive the 45 minutes home with the kids, and let me tell you I've never had a such a hard time staying awake.

My loving husband did everything for the kids all day yesterday and kept sending me back to bed. Today is much better, still sick but functioning. So that in a nutshell is what has been keeping us busy...ok back to the couch for me!

1 comment:

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Oh honey, feel better soon! I am glad the fund raising went well though, take care,